To be able to play multimedia sound or video files, so-called codecs are necessary. How? Don’t you know what a codec is? Well, it is a program capable of encoding or decoding a digital data signal. Applied to multimedia files, it is that, the auxiliary program that a player will use to show video or play audio.
Play multimedia files without compatibility problems.
Normally these codecs are integrated into the multimedia players themselves but it is possible that due to lack of updates or because you are trying to reproduce a format that is not too widespread, you have problems opening it correctly. You can prevent it from happening by resorting to K-Lite Codec Pack, a complete suite of codecs, DirectShow filters and tools that will make any audiovisual content can be reproduced without any problem on your PC, whether it is Windows 7 or 10 or 32 or 64 bits.
- Allows the playback of common video formats como AVI, MP4, MKV, FLV, OGM, MOV, MPEG, MOV, HDMOV, TS, M2TS y OGG.
- Ability to configure all decoders with Codec Tweak Tool.
- Associate formats with programs for their reproduction.
- Friendly and easy-to-use user interface.
- Frequent updates.
- Content carefully chosen by experts.
- Compatible with all major media players: Windows Media Player y Windows Media Center, Media Player Classic, ZoomPlayer, PotPlayer, GOM Player…
- Compatible with Windows operating systems from XP onwards.
- Codecs for 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
- Customizable installation.
- Includes Media Player Classic Homecinema player.
- Support for subtitles.
- Compatible with DVD and Blu-ray playback.
And although it is mainly focused on video playback, it also has a extensive support for playing audio files en diferentes formatos: MP3, FLAC, OGG, MPC, APE, M4A…
Which is better? MPC-HC or VLC Player?
It is true that the VLC player there are few that can cough. The Media Player that we find in the K-Lite package is postulated as a worthy rival to this one. It does this by offering different features like faster file loading, better support for MKV files, and more hardware acceleration options.
This is the version full of the package but you have three more versions:
- K-Lite Codec Basic– Contains everything you need to play the most common video files. It will satisfy the needs of any user who uses common video files.
- K-Lite Standard: contains additional functions to those of Basic, such as the MPC player.
- K-Lite Mega: is the most complete and powerful version. It offers all the features of the Full version but also has VFW / ACM codecs for video encoding and editing.
So which one is better? Mega or Full? Easy: the two are the most complete but unless you are going to encode and edit video you will not get all the features of the Mega package.
And the version for Android smartphones and tablets?
Those of K-Lite have not released any official APK for Android mobile devices. Yes, there are other apps that have taken advantage of the pull that has its name to place codec packages on Google Play, but there are none that belong to this developer.
What’s new in the latest version
- MPC-HC is updated to version 220.127.116.11.
- LAV Filters is updated to version 0.74.1-90-gb7d7f.