One of the applications that has contributed the most to popularize the text, voice and video protocol on the Internet, known by its abbreviation in English VoIP, has been Skype. This tool was designed in 2003 in Estonia and purchased by Microsoft in 2011.
Free communication with landlines, mobiles and other computers
One of the great assets with which this tool has played to achieve a large volume of users has been the fact that it is free: anyone who downloads it and registers as a user can use it without having to pay for it. Now, some of its characteristics do require payment.
At the time it became the substitute for Microsoft’s Messenger but beyond the written messages, its main claim has been the possibility of making calls between computers and from computer to landline and mobile at a very low price.
- Make calls over the Internet and establish videoconferences using the VoIP protocol.
- Send text messages for free.
- Send and receive all kinds of files and documents.
- Share files.
- Call landlines and mobiles around the world at low cost.
- Integration with your Outlook account.
- Set up group video calls.
- Share content from your PC screen.
- Possibility of linking accounts Skype and Facebook.
What kind of communication does it offer?
Its functions allow it to be used in different ways. These are the free ones:
- Text, voice and video communication between two users from one computer to another or mobile device. It can be done at no cost.
And these are the functions that can be used by paying:
- Group calls between several users through the PC.
- Voice calls with local call rate from a landline or mobile to a user connected through their PC.
- Local call from fax to users of Skype.
- Telephone and text message forwarding from landlines and mobiles to users.
The possibilities it offers have made it a very valid tool for communication in the domestic sphere, but also in the business, where it is used for video conferencing, text messaging, and chat or group communication. This use and presence in the professional environment, however, leads some to wonder about its safety.
Is Skype safe?
Its massive use not only in Windows, but also in iPhone, Android, Mac, Linux and its web version has led many to set their eyes on the security and integrity of the information, both those most zealous to protect their privacy and those interested in raping her. The point is that was one of the services affected by the NSA spyware, known as PRISM, so since then this service is even more questioned and there are those who choose alternatives such as Tango.
What is the price? It is expensive?
This is one of the questions that many of its users ask the most and whose answer obviously depends on the uses that are given, but it is not very expensive. You must bear in mind, of course, that its use is independent of the data plan you have contracted:
- Calls to landlines: 2.1 cents per minute.
- Calls to mobiles: 9 cents per minute.
The credit is recharged in amounts between 10 and 25 euros and can be configured so that it recharges automatically when it runs out.
In turn, the subscription method can also be used, which proposes having monthly bonuses to call mobiles and landlines. Bonuses that go by number of minutes and plans to call Europe and the rest of the world between € 1.08 and € 12.69.
What’s new in the latest version
- Calls from Skype they now support up to 100 participants.