The best free multimedia player. So it is for many VLC Player, capable of playing the vast majority of multimedia file formats as well as DVDs, audio CDs, VCDs and different streaming protocols. Started in the mid-90s as an academic project, today it is considered the benchmark far ahead of alternatives such as DivX Player, SMPlayer, BSPlayer or KMPlayer.
Is VLC for Windows the most stable and versatile player?
Well possibly yes; VLC Media Player offers great stability and versatility since it is capable of playing practically any multimedia file that can be played. It does so thanks to the fact that it has its own codecs that prevent you from looking for continuous updates on the Internet. Its good reputation has led it to have versions on other platforms such as Mac, Linux, iPhone and Android.
The best media player is free.
Main features and functions
The main features and functions of this player are extensive and go beyond others that can be considered its competition, such as GOM Player, which without being deficient programs they fall short compared to VLC in some respects:
- Compatibility with a multitude of video and audio formats: DivX, H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC, Cinepak, Sorenson 1/3 (QuickTime), DV (Digital Video), WMV, MP3, AAC, FLAC, Wavpack, MIDI, DV Audio, or REAL AUDIO.
- No need to download additional codecs.
- Supports different subtitle formats.
- Recognizes various audio channels in videos.
- Play incomplete videos.
- It has a client and server streaming to play videos over the Internet.
- It allows the application of filters to the videos to generate different effects, distort the image and more.
Advanced controls for complete customization
The program configuration options offer great freedom to the user, who you can customize virtually any of the features you have VLC Player: playback, audio, subtitle tracks, playback medium …
At the same time, the tools menu allows you not only to adjust any aspect of the file playback, but also the interface to suit the preferences of each one. And it is precisely its design one of the most attractive elements of the program. Not all developers of this type of software are clear that the simpler, and perhaps minimalist, the tool, the more comfortable the user can use it. In VLC we find a sober interface and designs without frills that allow us to be more aware of what is reproduced than how to reproduce it.
Ready for any version of Windows
And not only do we find 32 and 64-bit versions for Windows 7 or 10 in this player, perhaps indispensable today, but also it is possible to download it for already archaic equipment that go way beyond running XP: Windows 95, 98 and Me PCs.
What formats does VLC play?
It is said to be one of the most versatile and it is so. It can read multimedia file formats such as video, sound, and streaming image and sound as well as tags and subtitles:
- Video formats: MPEG-1/2, DivX, MPEG-4 ASP, DivX, XviD, 3ivX D4, H.261, H.263 / H.263i, H.264 / MPEG-4, AVC, Cinepak, Theora, Dirac / VC-2, MJPEG (A/B), WMV, VC-1 1, QuickTime, Digital Video, On2, Indeo Video v3 y Real Video.
- Audio formats: MPEG, MP3, AAC, Vorbis, AC3, E-AC-3, MLP, DTS, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, Speex, MPC, ATRAC 3, Wavpack, Mod, TrueAudio, APE, Real Audio, Alaw, AMR, MIDI, LPCM, ADPCM, QCELP, DV Audio. QuickTime y MACE.
- Image and sound transmission formats: UDP/RTP Unicast y Multicast, HTTP, FTP, MMS, TCP/RTP Unicast, DCCP/RTP Unicast, DVD Video, VCD, SVCD, Audio CD, DVB y MPEG. Que can broadcast in these formats: MPEG, AVI, ASF, WMV, WMA, MP4, MOV, 3GP, OGG, OGM, Annodex, Matroska (MKV), Real, WAV, Raw Audio, RAW Digital Video, FLAC, FLV (Flash), MXF, Nut, Standard MIDI y Creative Voice.
- Subtitle formats: DVD, text files, Vobsub, USF, SVCD, DVB, OGM, CMML and Kate.
- Label formats or tags: ID3, APEv2 y Vorbis comment.
What’s new in the latest version
- Improved compatibility.
- Fix security bugs.
- Adds support for the RIST protocol.
- Scripts update for YouTube and Vocaroo.