How to compress and decompress files in Windows should not matter too much if you have WinRAR. This is one of the most popular tools for working with compressed files since it is a practically essential action on any computer.
You already know that through this action you can reduce the size, and therefore the weight, of any attachment or attached in emails or any other document when uploading or downloading from the Internet. And obviously it is not the only application of this type: WinZip, 7-Zip, IZArc … what happens is that this is one of the most powerful and versatile managers.
Compatible with different compression formats
Although its name refers to the RAR format, it is not the only one it can work with. In fact you can open files in others like ARJ, CAB, JAR, TAR, JAR, ISO, ZIP o 7z. It is essential today, since any file that you download, for example, from uTorrent, Mega or the mail is easy to come compressed.
Among the different features and functions that the program has the following can be highlighted:
- Compress and decompress files in RAR and ZIP format.
- Compatible with other compression formats such as CAB, ARJ, TAR, JAR, ISO, 7z, BZ2 and many more.
- Support for security attributes and data streams in NTFS files.
- Protection of compressed files with AES-256 bit encrypted password and digital signature.
- Lock files to prevent tampering or safely delete sensitive data.
- Handles large files.
- Easy to use.
- Includes an assistant, known as mode Wizard to instantly consult the basic functions of the program.
- Create self-executing and multi-volume archives.
- Checking the integrity of the file.
- Virus scanning.
- Possibility to add comments.
Why compress a document file or package?
Beyond saving space (which will depend on the type of file you work with, not all of them are compressed the same), you may be interested in one aspect of security and privacy. You can encrypt any document with a password and digital signatures so that only the one that has the password you can freely access it.
WinRAR in Spanish
These two simple characteristics have been, among others, those that have made it one of the favorite programs for millions of users: available in dozens of languages and for different processors, which makes it suitable to install in different versions of Windows, whether XP, 7 or 10.
But there are also others, such as integration in the contextual menu, so that it is always at hand, or checking for corrupt files: if you work with one that has some kind of failure, the compressor alerts you.
What’s new in the latest version
- Dialog boxes are centered within the dialog window. WinRAR similar to WinRAR 5.80.
- When editing an archived file with external software, additional measures are taken to reduce the likelihood of interfering with the editor and opening its temporary files while the editor still needs them.
- The “Version to extract” field provides additional information about the ZIP, LZMA, or AES compression and encryption algorithms.